So you are interested in selling your designs or starting an online T-shirt Shop. Well then, you have a few options available to you. You could sell your designs outright to certain companies perhaps even work freelance. You could start your own printing company if you had the money. You could buy T-shirts wholesale and resell them online. If you are a Do-It-Yourself type looking for some Content Management Program and a Web Presence for your own printed tees or via a Drop Shipping Service then Shopify, But more than likely you are interested in starting your own online T-shirt shop through a "Print on Demand" service.
The first step is choosing a Print On Demand company that you want to sell through. I have reviewed the ones that you see in the alphabetized list further below. Not all brands are listed as some are a complete and total waste of time.
There are many companies to choose from and the most popular and most famous is not the best. Cafepress for lack of a better word "SUCKS". They treat their shopkeepers like crap. To learn more on why not to choose Cafepress please read the article entitled "The Reasons Why CafePress Sucks." as the list of complaints is way too long to post here.Some of the links on this page are "affiliate links." This means that I will receive a small commission if you click on it and purchase any items. Nevertheless, I only recommend products and services that I personally believe in and use. This disclosure is in accordance with the FTC's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."
Print on Demand T-shirt Companies Updated: 04/24/2016: (* denotes Tee Fetch's Preference.)
How To Start Your Own T-shirt Shop.
- NeatoPOD* (5 stars UPDATED 5/10/2023) - Owned by NeatoShop, They are the Absolute Best in Print On Demand Direct To Garment printing. Their prints are bolder, larger, and last longer. Better pricing. I am happy with the products and customer service. They have a wide range of apparel products. Read the NeatoShop brand review for more information about their brand and quality. USE THIS COMPANY. For Quality, For Customer Service, For Their Drop Shipping Program, and since they do not screw over the affiliates' back linking by switching platforms. I stand by this brand so much, that I've removed the other brands from this "former" list. (For many reasons.)
Non-Print on Demand Services For Setting Up An Online T-shirt Shop:
- Shopify - The eCommerce functionality and web design aspects for shops is second to none. If you do your own printing or partner with a local printer and or ship items yourself then this setup is right for you. If you use a Drop Shipping service from a POD or Screen Printing service then this is also ideal. You can even sell from Pinterest which is a huge benefit if you know how Pinterest works. You do more of the work since there is fewer middlemen but you keep more of the profits. A lot of the Limited Edition T-shirt Sites and Tee Brands use this service for their online presence. Please read The Reasons Why To Choose Shopify.
- Etsy - An online marketplace to sell your products.
- eBay - An online marketplace to sell your products.
- Amazon - Another option.
- WooCommerce - If you have or obtain a WordPress site then you can integrate a store and payment platform yourself on your own site.
- Refersion - This is a reasonably priced affiliate marketing platform for Small and Large Businesses that lets you recruit affiliates to market your products for a commission from the sale. It integrates well with Shopify via an app. If you have your own brand and site or shop and print the stuff yourself this is a must-do strategy. Typically T-shirt brands pay their affiliates 10% of the sale. Some are less and some are more.