I’m a designer, based in Derbyshire in the UK, and I’ve not been doing this for very long! I’ve been drawing for many years but have only recently branched out into T-shirt design (2016) and in my day-to-day life I’m a librarian.
I like to create vector illustrations and prefer portraiture, taking inspiration from popular culture, and basically things I love!
- How did you get started in T-shirt Designing and what was your first design?
I started with Redbubble in October 2016, and I uploaded a couple of designs that I had made previously for an illustration course “Lady of the Lake” and “Midsummer Night’s Dream”, but the first image I designed purely for the T-shirt was the “Strange” Doctor Strange image. I work mostly with vectors and I specialise mainly in portraits. I joined Neatoshop and Teepublic more recently.
- Any advice for aspiring designers?
I suppose I should put here advice about following trends and finding out what would do well in the market, but I tend to just design based on things that I like and I am inspired by, with the main aim being to design things that I would buy myself. (This has it’s downside, as I end up buying a lot of my stuff, wiping out a lot of my profit!). Also, just to keep drawing, I’m always finding new ways of drawing things and more about using the software.
- Any highlights in your career such as prestigious awards, mentions, and recognition?
I’ve had illustrations printed in a Medical Journal before, but not really images I’d like to put on a t-shirt! Other than that I’m fairly new to this at time of writing. Hopefully I’ll one day see someone famous wearing one of my designs!
- Do you have any rivalries friendly or not? If so with who?
I don’t think I’ve managed to upset anyone just yet! I’d hope rivalry would be friendly if there were any. I’m not very good in a fight.
- Are you a dog person or a cat person?
I’ve had both, but at the moment I have cats, so I should say cat. Dogs are more loyal obviously, but my cats are both a bit batty (Bengals) and love them to bits!
- Do you have any other skills or talents besides art?
I’ve got a music degree but I don’t play much anymore. (I used to play bass guitar.)
- Do you look up to any one in the T-shirt Biz?
I’m always seeing designs that I think “God that’s brilliant”, but not one particular artist. I bought a few from Redbubble before I designed for them. I prefer the designs where some effort has gone in, not so keen on the text only/ photo image designs.
- If you could change one thing about the world what would it be?
I’d like to get rid of cruelty to animals and children, get rid of our current government, stop wars and also make physics work differently so that the more calories you eat, the thinner you get.
- If you could have one superpower what would it be?
Knowing what TV show someone has been in before, without having to check on IMDB
- What would be your mandatory weakness in respect to the one superpower?
I’d know what TV show they had been in, but it would only be one, and they might have been in other things and that would then annoy me, and I’d have to check IMDB. A bit of a pointless superpower in that respect.
- If you could keep one thing about the world what would it be?
- If you have the ability to bring back any T.V. Show with fresh episodes but only one, what would it be?
Father Ted, but with the original Father Ted, so that’s not going to happen sadly.
- Marvel or DC or Other?
You’s think Marvel with the Doctor Strange design, but I like the work of Alan Moore, so I’d have to say DC for Watchmen etc (but also his independent publisher work)
- What are your favorite fandoms?
The obvious ones, love Sherlock, Doctor Who, Supernatural, but I’m a big fan of British comedy programmes, as you might be able to tell from my designs!
- What Are Your Inspirations?
In terms of design ideas, comedy, cult movies but in terms of art, I love the classics and realism of the renaissance and I’m a big fan of art nouveau. I like the work of Echo Chernik.
- What is your favorite accredited charity?
- What software do you use for making designs? Any drawing tablets?
I use Adobe Illustrator mainly, I bluff my way around it mainly, just stick to the simple vector drawing functions. I use Photoshop to edit initial collages to work from and I have a Wacom Cintiq. I also have a Wacom intuos that I use with my laptop, but I prefer to draw onto the screen itself.
- Would like to shout out to other artists?
I don’t really know any, as I’m a bit of a recluse. I’ll say hi to Echo Chernik though! You may never see this but I love your work!